With the start of school right around the corner, it’s time to start planning for a healthy school year. How can you support your health goals, while also teaching the value of healthy living to your children? Why not start with a healthy snack drawer and healthy lunch choices.
Kids often need a snack after school before they dive right into homework before dinner. Create a tub or drawer just for them, with approved after school snacks. You want foods that will help them concentrate and provide just enough energy to take them to dinner. Here are a few choices.
- Nut mix- unsalted nuts provide healthy fats, which are true brain food! Portion out a handful of nuts as a snack. If they really want something sweet, mix in some dark chocolate chunks, but not too many.
- Sliced apples and almond butter
- Veggies and hummus- portion out a mixture of baby carrots and cucumbers with hummus.
- Turkey wraps- take 2-3 organic turkey slices and add some avocado or greens in the middle, then roll them up.
- Muffin- muffins made with coconut flour and/or almond flour are full of fiber, protein and healthy fats. Make them at the beginning of the week. You can freeze extras.